Tahiti came to us after being surrendered to the sheriff once animal control found him starving and lying in filth. The owner of Tahiti pled guilty to animal cruelty. He was in very bad condition, emaciated and malnourished.

Tahiti experienced severe neglect. He presented with a Body Condition Score of 1/9, dehydration, very compromised feet, and a prolapsed penis. A prolapsed penis is one that cannot be retracted into its sheath and because of that, has experienced trauma and tissue damage. This is common for emaciated horses because they have loss of muscle.

Little "Tahiti" was in trouble. He weighed 440 pounds at intake, about 250 pounds underweight. After several days of expert care at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital, he was stable enough to come home.

He had a long road ahead of him. Because the penis was still prolapsed, we were faced with managing it on a daily basis. A sling was wrapped around his genitalia (similar to a jock strap), that supported the area with the hope that as he gained weight, he would be strong enough to retract it.

After months of changing the sling, and regular feeding with quality grain and hay, Tahiti was strong enough to go out with some of our other "smaller" boys. Since his turn out, he has blossomed into a handsome gaited boy who is still looking for that forever home!


Tahiti at R&R from behind
tahiti update 5
Tahiti in stall at Center first week
Tahiti update1
tahiti back 1
Tahiti new 3
tahiti update2
Tahiti update 2
Tahiti new 5



Otter came to us in March of 2018 at a little under a year old.  He came from a feral herd in Eastern Kentucky. The people found Otter in the snow unable to get up and walk due to severe emaciation and was undernourished. Under his fluffy coat of hair you couldn't  see how really skinny he was. The wonderful people that found him put him in the back seat of their SUV and took him to the local shelter and from there they transported him to us. When he arrived he was still unable to get up and stand on his own. It took our Director and barn staff to carry him into the stall. He was wet, shivering and very hungry! After getting him into a nice warm stall with fresh straw and water and plenty of good grain and hay, he started to come around. Although being feral, he knew we were helping him and welcomed the help. Otter has since grown a bit, is healthy and is part of our education program Take the Reins. 


otter before1
otter before5
otter before2
otter before6
otter 3
otter before3
otter after with friends
otter before4
otter OH


Studio 54

Studio 54, one of our sweet Thoroughbred mares, went to Park Equine Hospital in Versailles for further treatment of her sarcoids.

Studio came to the Center over a year ago via one of our strong supporters,Thoroughbred Charities of America (TCA), as one of the herd seized from Charles Borell and his daughter, former trainer, Maria Borell.  At the time of her arrival, she had very sizeable growths called sarcoids behind her jaw, along her neck, and in the vicinity of the jugular vein. This location is very problematic for treatment.

Over the past year, she has been treated by Hagyard Equine Medical Institute and Park Equine Hospital, and  embarked on a critical path that we hoped would get her to the adoptable stage. She underwent topical chemotherapy. 

Over the course of the last year we have watched Studios sarcoids disappear. She still has 2 very small places where the sarcoids were, but they have completely cleared and we couldn't be happier with the outcome. 

See pictures below of the before, during and after!



studio during treatment1
Studio during treatment2
studio update booboo1
Studio update booboo2
Studio 54 return from Park Dec 12 2017 head shot
Studio 54 sarcoid closeup Dec 12 2017
studio update sarcoid
Studio 54 Updated photo
studio booboo3
studio 4 26 2018
studio riding
studio riding2
studio booboo after


This is Maxie before (top right), when she came to us at the beginning of November 2016. She was one of the most severe case the Center had ever seen, and it was touch and go there for a while. She had to spend three weeks at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital because she needed 'round the clock care and rehabilitation before she could be strong enough to come home. It was a huge homecoming when she did, and she has flourished ever since.

This is Maxie after her ordeal (bottom right)! She is working to become a model citizen and doing great.

Maxie was adopted in late January 2017 with one of our other little guys, Patrick's Bullseye. She is happy and fits in well in her new home.